Evaluation Kit for the MAX5971A (MAX5971AEVKIT) (MAX5971AEVKIT)The MAX5971A evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested surface-mount circuit board featuring an Ethernet single-port power-sourcing equipment (PSE) circuit for -54V supply rail systems. The IEEE® 802.3af/at-compliant MAX5971A PSE controller IC, in a 28-pin TQFN package, features an internal n-channel power MOSFET forming the main PSE circuit on the EV kit. The IC is used in power-over-Ethernet (PoE) applications requiring DC power over a single Ethernet network port.
The EV kit requires a -32V to -60V power supply (-54V supply rail) capable of supplying 1A or more to the EV kit for powering the powered device (PD) through the 10/100/1000BASE-TX Ethernet network port. The EV kit demonstrates PD discovery, classification, currentlimit control, and other functions of an IEEE 802.3af/at-compliant PSE.
The IC controls the -54V DC power to the Ethernet network port by sensing current through the port and controlling the IC's internal power MOSFET. The current is fed to a 1 x 1 gigabit MagJack® module at the EV kit's Ethernet output port.
The EV kit demonstrates the full functionality of the IC's operational modes, such as configurable high-power modes (programmable up to 40W), PD detection, PD classification, overcurrent protection, current foldback, undervoltage/overvoltage protection, and AC-/DC-disconnect monitoring. All these features are configurable on the EV kit, with additional test points for voltage probing and current measurements provided. The EV kit can also be configured for midspan or end-point network operation.
- IEEE 802.3af/at-Compliant PSE Circuit
- High-Power Class 5 Mode Configurable Up to 40W
- -32V to -60V Input Voltage Providing 1A
- Ethernet Network Ports
- RJ45 10/100/1000BASE-TX Ethernet Network Data Input Port
- RJ45 10/100/1000BASE-TX Ethernet Network PSE Output Port
- Demonstrates IC's Internal Power Switch and Current Sensing
- Demonstrates Standard and Legacy PD Detection and Classification
- Configurable for Midspan or End-Point Mode
- Configurable AC/DC Load-Removal Detection and Disconnect Monitoring
- Convenient Voltage and Current Test Points
- Demonstrates the EV Kit Circuit's Output Port LED-Status Indicator
- Proven PCB Layout
- Fully Assembled and Tested