The MAX1978 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested PC board that implements a complete switch-mode temperature control system for a Peltier thermo-electric cooler (TEC) module. It operates from a single 3V to 5.5V supply and provides a bipolar ±2.2A (max) output to the module.
A potentiometer, DAC, or external source generates a DC temperature set-point voltage. Thermal feedback from the TEC module is compared to the set-point voltage to generate the TEC current control signal. The MAX1978 controls TEC current to accurately regulate temperature.
When using the DAC, the EV kit connects to the parallel port of a computer running Windows® 95, 98, or 2000.
- Circuit Footprint Less than 0.93in²
- Circuit Height Less than 3mm
- Operates from a Single Supply (3V to 5.5V)
- ±2.2A Output Current
- High-Efficiency Switch-Mode Design
- Programmable Heating/Cooling Current Limit
- TEC Current Monitor Output
- Overtemperature, Undertemperature, and Analog Temperature Monitor
- 500kHz or 1MHz Switching Frequency
- SPI-Compatible Serial Interface
- Easy-to-Use Menu-Driven Software
- Includes Windows 95-/98-/2000-Compatible Software and Demo PC Board
- Surface-Mount Construction
- Fully Assembled and Tested